Hailing from Melbourne, Tonia developed a love of dance and music at a young age and studied dance at the Australian Ballet School, as well as the National Ballet School of Canada and the School of American Ballet in New York. Her talent led her to the Royal New Zealand Ballet, where she danced in Soloist and Principal roles for 10 years, touring across the world to America, China, the U.K and throughout Europe. Her vast repertoire includes roles such as Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty, Juliet in Romeo and Juliet, and Titania in A Midsummer Night’s Dream which was specially created for her by renowned choreographer Liam Scarlett and has been one of her favourites to date. Tonia joined Queensland Ballet in early 2008.
- The Sylph, La Sylphide
- Juliet, Christopher Hampson’s Romeo & Juliet
- Aurora, Greg Horsman’s The Sleeping Beauty
- Cinderella, Christopher Hampson’s Cinderella
- Giselle, Ethan Stiefel and Johan Kobborg’s Giselle
- Kitri, Don Quixote
- Titania, Liam Scarlett’s A Midsummer Nights’ Dream
- Madame De Tourvel, Liam Scarlett’s Dangerous Liaisons
Did you know?
Tonia is a passionate singer and has had musical theatre training.
“I fell in love with the artistry of dance and its inherent musicality…from a young age I was always singing and dancing around the house.”