Natalie Lu —
Age started dancing
- Jean M. Wong School of Ballet
- Princeton University Dance Department
- Queensland Ballet Academy Pre-Professional Program
- Attended summer intensives at the Joffrey Ballet School, National Ballet Academy in Amsterdam, and The School at Jacob’s Pillow
Jette Parker Young Artist 2018
- Cinderella in Cinderella
- Kitri in Don Quixote
- Ben Stevenson’s Swan Lake
- Paul Boyd’s Tangled
- Gareth Belling’s Before and Contact Point
- Loni Landon’s Tidal
- John Jasperse’s Within Between
Favourite character to perform
One to fully immerse in the story, where the dancing becomes an extension of the music and the character portrayed. I enjoy bringing emotion and life to a character, and dance is just the way I choose to do so.
The combination of athleticism and grace, of precision and freedom
Music, especially when a live orchestra is playing Tchaikovsky!
The magical moments when the movement seems to control the music, as if the dancer has become the instrument
The remarkable way in which our bodies can articulate a dynamic range of motion
The continual pursuit of perfection
The ability to move an audience
Rare moments of invincibility
The amazingly talented people I get the privilege to dance alongside
Awards and achievements
RAD Solo Seal Award
Out of habit, I always put my left pointe shoe on before my right one.
I love musical theater, and my biggest dream is to perform in a ballet musical on Broadway.
Prior to dancing full time, I was studying architecture. Although dance and architecture are both creative expressions of movement in space, one can wait, but the other cannot.