Tara Schaufuss —
German born Tara began her initial training with the Carolyn Gilby Dance Centre in Brisbane. Tara was part of the Queensland Ballet Junior Extensive Program for 3 years before being accepted into the Australian Ballet School as a Level 5 student.
Tara received a scholarship to attend the summer intensive course at Boston Ballet and was chosen to be international representative of the summer school. Tara then travelled to Copenhagen to take up an apprenticeship with the Royal Danish Ballet Company.
Tara was promoted into the corps de ballet appearing in Balanchine’s Nutcracker, Donizetti Variations, Serenade, Symphony in C, Symphony in 3; Jerome Robbin’s The Cage; Bournonville’s La Conservatoire; Nikolaj Hubbe’s La Sylphide, Napoli and La Bayadere; John Neumier’s Midsummer Night’s Dream, Lady of the Camelias and Romeo and Juliet. Christopher Wheeldon’s Sleeping Beauty; Harold Lander’s Etudes; Alexei Ratmansky’s Golden Cockerel and Peter Martin’s Swan Lake.
In 2013, Tara performed with the Queensland Ballet as a guest artist performing in Ai-Gul Gaisina’s Giselle, the Elegance program, Dance Dialogues and The Nutcracker. Tara was promoted to Company Dancer in 2014.
- Livia in Sir Frederick Ashton’s Romeo and Juliet
- Neopolitan lead couple in Peter Martin’s Swan Lake (Royal Danish Ballet)
- Sugar Plum Fairy in Ben Stevenson’s The Nutcracker
- A ‘russian girl’ in George Balanchine’s Serenade (Royal Danish Ballet)
- George Balanchine’s Donzetti (Royal Danish Ballet)
- Performing on the Palais Garnier stage (Paris Opera)
- Performing for Queen Margareth of Denmark.
Did you know?
- Tara is a third generation professional ballet dancer in her family.
- In her free time Tara enjoys looking for bargains. She is also obsessed with the 60s- 80s era and collects from all the places she travels to. Whether it is the flea market in Paris, the Mutrah Souk in Oman or just the Vinnies in Brissy, her collection of furniture, clothes and cutlery are continuously growing.